- Expand Bio
- Hello, my name is Jorge Wood. I want to first THANK YOU for visiting the website and hope that you were able to learn about the wonderful and magical things we do.I am married to a wonderful lady by the name of Maggie, who has stood by my side throughout the years and helped me develop Earth Angels. Have a great son by the name of Brandon. He has been helping me since the age of four visiting the families. He has helped me tremendously with the kids. I consider myself a lucky man. I have been in the social service field for over 20 years. The reason being is that I love helping people. I am a great listener which has lead me to help other people in need. I love this part of me.I am the founder of Earth Angels. It started as a dream and ended being my mission. When Earth Angels started, I thought that we were going in to teach & make a difference. Through the years, it has become more. It is a place to find yourself. To see a life that you did not know. To make a difference. To touch someone by holding their hand or giving a hug and be touched back in a way that you never thought you would. A place where ego does not exist. Where the only thing present is unconditional feelings.The families and volunteers that have taken part of the activities/outings, do not stop saying how special Earth Angels is and how much it is needed. How it has changed their life. To me, Earth Angels is more than a name, it is the people that are part of it. The special people in this world. A world that for a short period of time, does not have egos, war, religion, race and so on. It is a place of pure unconditional love, peace and harmony. What an amazing feeling and concept. We all have so much to learn in life. I learned so much from each individual person I have come across. I love a world that has all this and much more to offer. One more thing, when these kids give you a hug, it is amazing because it is genuine and unconditional love – WOW! You feel it all the way through your body. When the families give you hugs and thanks – it is also amazing because it is genuine.We have been a complete volunteer non-profit organization for 17 years. Would I give this up? At times I do, when I get over whelmed. What these families give back to me is worth more than a million dollars and I wish more people could experience this feeling. We are not a big organization financially but we are a huge organization of the heart because we give unconditional love and receive it right back.
- Expand Bio
- I am a native Miamian married to a man that has a heart bigger than life itself and I have a son who means more to me than he will ever realize. Professionally I am a CFO which entails controls and balances; however all that changes when I volunteer for Earth Angels. My heart melts when I share time with the families. Volunteering at Earth Angels has proven to me that what we do has an amazing impact on the families. These experiences have shown me that life should be lived to its fullest. I am proud to be a member of Earth Angels.
- Expand Bio
- I am a longtime community activist and volunteer for non-profit organizations. I have been a twenty year supporter of Earth Angels since Jorge Wood created and founded Earth Angels. Seventeen years ago I decided not only to support Earth Angels but to volunteer. As an artist I wanted to create and provide a fun Arts and Crafts project for the families we serve at one of our in-house events, that turned into years or volunteering on field trips to different venues and/or in-house events.This hands on, real time, instant results program always makes me feel wonderful that I have done something for someone else, expecting nothing but good feelings in return. Every time I volunteer with Earth Angels I learn the impact that public service can have on both the giver and the receiver. I have come to appreciate the diversity of the people we serve…the patients with life threatening illnesses and their families who live here or have come to Miami for treatment.One winter holiday season Earth Angels provided twelve inch individual trees and mini ornaments for the families to decorate so each would have one for their rooms, their home away from home. One woman came in late so I sat with her while she decorated her tree. She told me she had just finished trimming the tree at her home when she had to come to the hospital for her treatments. This small tree would take the place of the one at home in her room. She said she could not thank Earth Angels enough for bringing her “tree” into her room. A small thing…a large reward!I was raised and educated in New York, Miami Beach and Miami. I am married to Tom Krause. Our family consists of Derek, Jordan and his wife Vanessa plus two Dobermans. Through the years the young adults have volunteered for Earth Angels, we can’t figure out what the dogs can do. Professionally I am a Graphic Designer specializing in logo design. Over the years my art has taken me down many different creative avenues.
- Expand Bio
- Aleksey Alekseyenko was born in Kiev, Ukraine on January 26, 1983. His family immigrated to United States in 1994 when he was 10 years old. Aleksey learned valuable lessons of patience, compassion, determination and hard work first hand from his parents. This showed in his school and extracurricular activities.Aleksey was accepted to University of California at Davis where he completed his Bachelor of Science degree in Exercise Biology. The following year Aleksey spent conducting cardiac arrest research at the National Institute of Health. In 2006, Aleksey enrolled in a Masters program at the Boston University School of Medicine. He completed his Master of Arts in Medical Science in 2008. Aleksey decided to continue his research at the University Of Miami Miller School Of Medicine where he co-authored several publications.Aleksey is a recent graduate of Nova Southeastern University School of osteopathic medicine and is currently doing his first year of post-graduate residency at Palisades Medical Center in New Jersey. He hopes to pursue a career in surgery and return to Florida.Why I am still with EA:Initially, the biggest reason for joining Earth Angels was to give back to the community. Having spent years as part of this wonderful organization, meeting children and their families, as well as, working closely with members is what made me stay. Being able to see the difference each member made was truly touching. I am amazed at the commitment this organization and its members put forth before every event regardless how big or small. I could not be luckier to have joined such a wonderful group of people, and I’m proud to say that I have learned lessons from each member and child alike. This opportunity has allowed me to put things in perspective and made me a more compassionate physician as a result.
- Expand Bio
- My name is Brandon Wood and I am the son of Jorge and Maggie Wood. Growing up in this family provided me the opportunity to become involved with the organization from a young age. At the age of four I began to regularly attend the Earth Angels events and haven’t stopped since. I can confidently say that my time spent as a volunteer has positively impacted my character and path.As a child I couldn’t understand the significance of what our programs did for these families; it was just fun for me, then. Now, there is no doubt in my mind that we have grown to be a necessary and useful non-profit. It seems only natural that a statement proving such a claim would follow, but I can’t seem to write it. To encompass the impact this organization has had on participants (both families and volunteers) would take more space than I have. I can merely stress that it has indeed changed me for the better.Outside of my life as a volunteer, I am a graduate of the University of Miami with a Bachelors of Science in Chemistry and French. I am a lover of academia and enjoy spending time researching as well as tutoring. Most of my free time is spent with video games and art, subjects I am also rather passionate about.
SUBMIT YOUR VOLUNTEER APPLICATION!
David S. Banfield